Laundry is piling up, my book just got to the good part and the DVR still has Grey’s Anatomy from last week on it. Good thing I had a slow cooking chicken in the crockpot so that I could check dinner off of my list as soon as I walked in the door.
Meet the crockpot, the solution for all working individuals who like to eat dinner before 7:30PM.
My wonderful mom gave this to us for Christmas and it is quickly becoming our new favorite kitchen gadget. We bought a whole chicken at Wegman’s which cost a total of $5.75. That’s right, a whole chicken for half the price of a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts. And we like the skin anyway, right?? It gives us flavor! You can always peel it off before you eat it.
To start this recipe, Seth cut up some onion and garlic and laid it in the base of the pot. He topped it with a few sprigs each of fresh Rosemary and Thyme. There really is no substitute for fresh herbs.
In the meantime, separate the chicken into breasts, wings and thighs. We won’t show you a picture of this because it gets rather graphic.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with a small amount of olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes/side. Do not cook the chicken! We’re just browning here.
Once you’ve browned, place the chicken into the crockpot on top of the onion/garlic/fresh herb mixture.
Top the chicken with a few more sprigs of fresh herbs and pour in the broth made from combining white wine, flour, honey, maple syrup and red pepper flakes.
Set the crockpot to Low for 7 hours and walk away!
Here she is all plated up with some delicious roasted veggies. This chicken lasted us several days and was so flavorful and moist that I’m afraid I’ll never be able to eat chicken cooked any other way again.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have this waiting for me–
It’s all clean I promise, it just needs to be folded! Stop judging me.
Crockpot Chicken with Rosemary and Thyme
- One whole chicken
- 6 sprigs each of Rosemary and Thyme
- Half an onion, cut into strips
- Six cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Chop an onion and slice the 6 cloves of garlic and lay them in the bottom of the crockpot
- Lay 3 sprigs of rosemary and 3 of thyme on top of the sliced onion and garlic
- Cut the chicken into its individual parts; thighs, breasts, wings
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper and place into a hot cast iron skillet with a small amount of olive oil
- Brown both sides of the chicken, about 3 minutes/side
- Remove the chicken and place it into the slow cooker
- Top the chicken with additional sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- Create a sauce by combining white wine, flour, honey, maple syrup and red pepper flakes with a whisk until thick and pour over the chicken
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours