Something really disturbing happened this weekend. A mouse was spotted. In the kitchen. On the stove.
We live in a very old house and earlier in the fall, a very tiny mouse was spotted (and later killed) by Lucy. Since then, there haven’t been any sightings….until now. I mean the NERVE of this thing, traveling to the top of the stove to investigate pancake crumbs that hadn’t been cleaned up yet. The mouse definitely thought it had hit the jackpot; food, on top of the stove where the cat can’t reach it. Well I screamed as soon as I saw it and it hasn’t shown its ugly face since, but Lucy isn’t helping much either.
That’s a heated blanket that she’s laying on. And I don’t think she’ll be moving unless the mouse runs right in front of her nose.
Anyway, before the mouse incident, I made these healthy, delicious banana bread pancakes. They have whole wheat flour, chia seeds, no oil and they taste like cake. Win.
I made the batter the night before so that we could eat these as soon as we got home from the gym, so feel free to make it ahead of time as well. The dry ingredients include whole wheat flour, oat flour (made in the blender again), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. The wet ingredients include milk (1%), egg, applesauce, mashed banana and chia seeds.
Once the batter is mixed up and poured into the pan, I added some cinnamon chips. This was a great decision and I highly recommend it.
See those bubbles on that pancake? That means it’s ready to flip. Seth taught me that.
These pancakes are so moist and flavorful, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about them since Sunday.
Since the pancakes were totally healthy, we decided they needed a very unhealthy glaze poured all over the top to really take them over the edge. A cinnamon cream cheese glaze was in order!
Looking at this picture again makes me want to add a breakfast for dinner night to this week’s menu. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Whole Wheat Chia Banana Bread Pancakes
For the pancakes:
- 1 Cup of oats, processed into oat flour
- 1 3/4 Cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon of salt
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 Cups of milk
- 2 Tablespoons of applesauce
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Mashed bananas
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Chia seeds
- 4 ounces of 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese
- 8 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 1/2 Cups of powdered sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Add chia seeds to wet ingredients
- Combine the two and mix
- Let stand for 30 minutes (or overnight is fine)
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and using a 1/3 dry measuring cup, pour batter into pan
- Add cinnamon chips and cook about 3 minutes on each side
- To make the glaze, microwave the cream cheese and butter about 30 seconds, stirring until smooth and runny
- Whisk in powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon
- Drizzle generously on top of pancakes!