Tonight is a girl’s night, and it couldn’t be more necessary. I am going out to dinner with three of my best friends from high school and I can’t wait to spend the night with them and catch up. We were very close growing up and went to all different places for college (including New Orleans!) but now three of us are back in Philadelphia-with hopefully the last one coming soon! 🙂
For those of you who aren’t going to be served dinner tonight at a restaraunt, I give you: Pork, Cheddar and Apple Meatballs.
Ground pork really doesn’t get enough credit, in my opinion. We always think to use ground beef, or if we are trying to be good, ground turkey. But ground pork has so much flavor and is right in between beef and turkey on the nutritional scale; give it a try, it won’t let you down!
To make these meatballs, you’ll want to cut up a small apple (I used Gala) and a half of an onion into very small pieces. Add this to the pork along with some cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, an egg and parsley. Salt and pepper to season!
Once the meatball mixture is all combined, use a cookie dough scoop to scoop uniform size meatballs onto a tray lined with tin foil. Can I just tell you how much I love my cookie dough scoop? It’s so versatile, I use it for cookies (obvi), meatballs, biscoff bites, when I’m putting cupcake batter into the liners, when I want uniform size pancakes, etc. It’s an excellent kitchen tool!
Once you have your cookie sheet all filled, broil them on the top rack of your oven for about 8-10 minutes. If you have an old, bad oven, it may take 15 minutes. They will look nice and golden brown when they are done.
These meatballs are so moist and flavorful! They have a tiny bit of sweetness from the apple, saltiness from the cheese, and lots of rich flavor from the pork. They can be served with pasta, or if you’re obsessed with quinoa like us, the two pair well together 🙂
These reheat really well too, just ask Seth; he ate them several days in a row for lunch.
Pork, Cheddar and Apple Meatballs
- 1 pound of ground pork
- Salt & Pepper to season
- 1 cup of reduced fat grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 small apple, peeled and cut into very small pieces
- 1/2 an union, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- Turn on oven broiler
- Peel and dice the apple and add to a bowl with the diced onion
- Add in breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese and chopped parsley
- Lightly beat one egg and pour over above ingredients
- Add ground pork and season with salt and pepper
- Using your hands, thoroughly combine all ingredients-this should take about 3-4 minutes
- With a cookie dough scoop (or spoon), scoop balls onto a tray lined with tin foil and sprayed lightly with cooking spray
- Broil the meatballs for about 10 minutes, longer if your oven is old like mine. The meatballs should be browned on top
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine